HEARTBEAT's Aims and Objectives
To improve the quality of life expectancy for as many people in the West Yorkshire area as possible, who have had or are at risk of having a cardiac event. Risks include; diabetes, high cholesterol or blood pressure, obesity
To achieve this through regular exercise, walks, social events, advice and training in as enjoyable way as possible.
- HEARTBEAT is a Registered Charity, run by volunteers, based in Brighouse which provides exercise / Tai Chi classes and walks for people who have had or are at risk of having a cardiac event. We try to include carers and / or partners in all our work.
- We are governed by a Constitution and have a Trustees Committee who have a set of Rules & Regulations to work by.
- HEARTBEAT is affiliated to the British Heart Foundation through which it has public liability insurance.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation exercise classes for people with heart problems or conditions that mean they could be at risk in the future. We offer fitness classes and walking group activity to continue fitness levels commensurate to the NHS phase 3-4 Cardiac Rehabilitation programme.
- A Professional instructor with BACR (British Association Cardiac Rehabilitation) or other appropriate qualifications for each class organised by HEARTBEAT
- Regular walks and Health walks.
- Contact with Health and Fitness professionals, to ensure the group keeps abreast with all new after care practises and current thinking.
- Information regarding heart and associated care via the British Heart Foundation's magazines, leaflets and our own newsletters.
- A calendar of 24 or more wide ranging social events for the benefit of members and their carers.
- An environment where members and carers can interact on a like for like basis with people who have a commonality with heart associated problems and experiences. Above all enjoy themselves.
- There is an annual membership fee of £5. Anyone is eligible to join after phase 4 Rehabilitation is completed or completing a membership form and having their GP or Practice Nurse sign the form confirming they are able to take part in exercise. HEARTBEAT supports the role of carers and / or partners and they are also welcome to join our sessions.
- The criteria to join HEARTBEAT are you have had a cardiac event, are diabetic type 1 or 2, have high blood pressure, have high cholesterol or are overweight.
- Membership ages range from 30+'s to 80+'s.
- A subsidised fee for all members is charged for exercise sessions currently £3.00 for Exercise Classes and £3.00 for Tai Chi classes. There are no charges for our walks.
- We organise various social and fund raising events during the year. Our Social Events are meant to break even.
- We run a Lotto Bonus Ball based, twice weekly, game and sell a wide variety of greeting cards to raise funds.
- We pay all our Room Hire costs.
- Professional instructors with BACR or other appropriate qualifications are funded by HEARTBEAT.
- Major equipment such as bikes and rowing machines are funded by HEARTBEAT and donations from local private and public patrons.